South Korea – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Entry, Exit and Visa Demands
- Passport legitimate at time of entry.
- No visa needed for stays significantly less than 3 months for tourism or company.
- Visa necessary for other purposes, including work, teaching English, as well as for stays much longer than ninety days.
Surpassing your authorized stay or otherwise not possessing a visa that is valid end in detention and fines.
- In case of an overstay, make an application for a visa expansion through the Korea Immigration Service (KIS) before trying to keep the united states. Additionally talk to KIS regarding alterations in visa category.
Army Personnel/DOD and their own families on sales:
- Consult DOD Foreign Clearance Guide, and follow all directions.
- Enter Korea with DOD travel and identification requests.
- Try not to transit other nations such as for instance Asia with out a passport and visas that is appropriate.
- Family Members/Dependents of Military Personnel/DOD on purchases must provide upon arrival passports legitimate for a minimum half a year plus A sofa that is a-3 visa.
U.S. Government Executive Branch workers on formal business and DOD personnel assigned to your U.S. Embassy (Including household members/dependents):
- Enter Korea by having a diplomatic or formal passport and a diplomatic or formal ROK visa obtained through your sponsoring agency.
- Get nation clearance utilizing Department of State’s eCC system or DOD APACS system.
HIV/AIDS regulation: The Department of State is unacquainted with any such entry limitations for site visitors or international residents in Korea.
Go to the Embassy of Korea web site for present visa information. Please read our Customs Suggestions web web page.
Security and safety
Public Demonstrations: Demonstrations and rallies are typical in Southern Korea, especially nearby the U.S. Embassy, Seoul City Hall, and areas surrounding installations that are military. You need to avoid places where demonstrations are taking spot and workout caution when you look at the vicinity of every gatherings that are large protests, or rallies. Also demonstrations meant to be calm can change confrontational and escalate into violence.
North Korea (The Democratic PeopleвЂ™s Republic of Korea, DPRK): An armistice contract, checked by the un, has maintained general comfort on the Korean peninsula since 1953. Tensions sporadically flare up because of provocative functions by North Korea, including missile that is ballistic nuclear tests and restricted armed incursions into ROK-held territory. Some provocations have actually escalated into geographically skirmishes that are limited. Southern Korea regularly conducts training that is military and civil protection drills. North Korea frequently issues strongly-worded and threatening communications, often regarding the these workouts. Please see our Fact Sheet on North Korea.
Weather-related Activities: hefty rains and flooding might occur throughout the June – August monsoon period or the might – November typhoon season. See information that is general normal catastrophe preparedness during the U.S. Federal crisis Management Agency (FEMA) site.
Sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): to get protection communications by e-mail while making it simpler to locate you in an urgent situation, register in ACTION.
In the event that Embassy becomes conscious of any certain and legitimate hazard to the security and protection of U.S. residents, we shall notify you through our web site, social networking, and email.
Criminal activity: for the majority of site site visitors, Southern Korea stays a really safe nation. Common crimes happen with greater regularity in major areas that are metropolitan tourist web internet web sites, and crowded areas.
- Just simply Take safety that is routine.
- Focus on your environments.
- Report any issues to police that is local.
Violent criminal activity just isn’t common; but, stay vigilant:
- Workout care in crowded activity, nightlife, and shopping districts.
- If traveling at consider traveling in groups night.
- Utilize legitimate taxis or transportation that is public.
Victims of Crime: Call 112 for crisis assistance or to report a criminal activity to neighborhood authorities. We could:
- Support you in finding appropriate health care;
- Help you in reporting a crime to authorities;
- Contact family members or buddies in your stead;
- Explain Korean procedures that are judicial basic terms;
- Offer a crisis loan for repatriation into the United States and/or restricted support that is medical situations of destitution;
- Assist you in finding rooms and journey plans towards the usa;
- Substitute a stolen or lost passport.
Sexual attack: In 2017-2018, the Embassy received a few reports of intimate attack from U.S. residents. Many cases included women that are young by acquaintances after having a drink socially. Specialized medical center devices and police are obtainable in Southern Korea to however assist victims solutions in English and responsiveness to your criminal activity are not necessarily constant. Generally speaking, intercourse crimes aren’t penalized as harshly in Southern Korea as in america plus the road to prosecution is really a challenging one for victims.
Lost or Stolen Passports: If for example the passport is taken, register a written report in the nearest authorities place.
Do not purchase fake and pirated products, even in the event accessible. It really is against South law that is korean purchase these products and against U.S. legislation to carry them to the united states of america. The Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Division when you look at the U.S. Department of Justice has additional information.
Avoid fraud and scams: See Department of State and FBI internet sites to learn more.
Tourism: The tourism industry is usually managed and guidelines in regards to to guidelines and security inspections are frequently enforced. Dangerous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage and staff that is professional typically readily available in help of arranged activities. In the case of an accident, appropriate treatment that is medical widely accessible through the nation. Away from a major metropolitan center, it could take additional time for very very first responders and medical experts to support an individual and supply assistance that is life-saving. U.S. citizens ought to buy medical evacuation insurance. See our website to learn more about insurance top hookup apps Tallahassee firms for international protection.
Neighborhood Laws & Special Circumstances
Criminal Penalties: whilst in Korea, you will be susceptible to laws that are local. In the event that you violate Korean regulations, you are expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Remember that:
- Immigration violations can result in arrest, fines, and deportation.
- There was small threshold for unlawful medications.
- You will be prosecuted if you mail illegal drugs to/ from Korea.
- Commercial disputes can result in charges that are criminal filed under neighborhood regulations.
Remember that some crimes are prosecutable in the usa, irrespective of regional legislation. For examples, see our site on crimes against minors abroad in addition to Department of Justice internet site.
Arrest Notification: If you will be detained or arrested, ask officials to alert the Embassy. See our website for more information.